- By Tribal Business News Staff
- Native Contracting
The Center for Indian Country Development (CICD) will kick off a 2023 webinar series next month with an event focused on federal contracting opportunities for Native American-owned enterprises.
CICD, which is a part of the Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, said it will host a June 21 webinar that will explore opportunities for Native entities to advance economic prosperity through federal contracting. The 90-minute session will highlight the trends, opportunities, and barriers associated with federal contracting, as well as its potential for driving revenue and employment that contribute to an economy that works for all.
Representatives from Alaska Native Corporations, Native Hawaiian Organizations and American Indian tribal enterprises will share their experiences in federal contracting during the webinar, which will also feature subject matter experts and federal officials. Slated speakers include:
- Jacqui Baldwin-LeClair, CICD, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis
- Jackson Brossy (Navajo Nation), U.S. Small Business Administration Office of Native American Affairs; CICD Leadership Council
- Chris James (Cherokee), National Center for American Indian Enterprise Development; CICD Leadership Council
- Casey Lozar (Confederated Salish and Kootenai Tribes), CICD, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis
- Chad Marchand (Confederated Tribes of the Colville Reservation), Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco
- Elijah Moreno (Coastal Band of the Chumash Nation), CICD, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis
- Lillian Sparks Robinson (Rosebud Sioux Tribe), Native American Contractors Association; Wopila Consulting, LLC; National Center for American Indian Enterprise Development board
- Alene Tchourumoff, Community Development and Engagement, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis
Over the last 40 years, Alaska Native Corporations (ANCs), Native Hawaiian Organizations (NHOs), and federally recognized tribes have increasingly done business with the world’s largest procurer of goods and services: the U.S. government.
Recent research from CICD found that all three Native entity types have seen growth in federal contracting revenue. Federal contracting is the primary source of revenue for ANCs and NHOs and the second-largest source for tribes, following gaming. Despite this growth, Native entities’ revenue from federal contracting remains a small share of all federal contracting revenue.
The webinar is the inaugural event in the CICD’s 2023 webinar series Cultivating Native Economies in the 21st Century. To register for event, visit this CICD event page: https://cvent.me/8znM2y.